What the best lawn mower does
- Leaves lawn looking well trimmed. The best lawn mowers deliver a pristine cut, mowing grass and weeds at
an even height. Depending on the cutting modes available, top mowers mulch and
disperse clippings without clumps and fill bags without clogging.
- Intuitive handling for easy pushing and steering. A balanced lawn mower
with heavy-duty wheels and user-friendly controls can make mowing much faster
and easier. Even self-propelled units should be moveable without engaging the
- Brand reliability and a good warranty. The best lawn mowers
have at least a three-year warranty on the mower, and many include a lifetime
warranty for polymer decks. Finding a brand with a solid history of reliability
- Uses safety keys and blade brakes. Safety guards ensure the engine and blades
stop immediately to prevent injury. Some of the best lawn mowers include an
override, allowing users to turn off the blades while the engine continues
- Quieter engines and motors. Most gas mowers are loud enough to require hearing
protection. Some electric lawn mowers (but not all) are significantly quieter,
and manual reel mowers are the quietest of all. Manual mowers are often quiet
enough to use any time of day (or night) without disturbing neighbors.
before you go
lawn mowers require regular maintenance. A gas lawn mower tune-up means changing the oil,
air filter and spark plug. Plan on spending about half an hour doing so at
least once a season. With how-to
guides available online, you can do most of the maintenance yourself.
mowers need a fresh battery every few years. Proper battery upkeep will extend the life of
your rechargeable battery, but plan on buying a new battery every three to five
years. Add this to your long-term cost estimates.
around for the best price. Lawn mower prices can fluctuate quite a bit among
stores. If you decide to buy online, make sure there's a reputable service
center nearby for possible warranty issues.