The Best Space Heaters No Matter Your Needs or Budget
Staying warm all winter long can be tough, even if your home has central heating. There’s always that one room — or one spot in your apartment — that stays chilly no matter how high you set your thermostat. One solution? Invest in a quality space heater.
Of course, depending on your needs, picking the perfect appliance out of a lineup can be tough. For the uninitiated, there are several common types of space heaters:
- Convection: The most efficient way to heat an entire room, convection heaters draw or blow air over a heated surface in order to provide warmth. As the heated air rises, the cool air moves toward the floor, creating that much-needed air circulation.
- Radiant: Some of these space heaters harness the power of fans to send a warm blast of air into their immediate vicinity, while others heat up quartz or ceramic plates to radiate heat. While radiant heaters can eventually warm up a large room, they are a better bet for smaller spaces.
- Kerosene, Propane & Natural Gas: Finally, we have "unvented combustion units," which are powered by oil and gas and are, as you might guess by the sound of that descriptor, the most dangerous type of space heater. In addition to being a fire hazard, these units also release carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxide, meaning they need to be used in well-ventilated spaces. With this in mind, these heaters are ideal for outdoor use, as the flame-producing appliances are sure to heat any patio or screened-in porch in a cinch.
All of this to say, before investing in a space heater, you’ll want to consider your needs. Some essential questions we recommend asking yourself before you add anything to your card include:
- Use: Will the heater be your primary source of heat or a supplement to central heating?
- Environment: Are you looking to heat a large room, a small space or an outdoor area?
- Savings: Is energy efficiency important to you?
- Safety: Do you want extra safety features, like automatic thermostats and sensors that prevent overheating?
Feeling overwhelmed? Don't sweat it. Luckily, there’s a space heater for every type of situation — and we’ve rounded up the best of the best right here.