Homemade Mouse Poison Antidotes: What to Do If Your Pet Accidentally Ingests It

Dealing with a rodent infestation can be a challenge, but resorting to commercial mouse poisons can be risky when you have pets at home. Homemade mouse killers are a popular alternative for pet owners who want to get rid of mice without exposing their pets to toxic chemicals. However, accidents can happen, and your furry friend may accidentally ingest some of the poison you have set up in your home. Here’s what you need to know if your pet ingests homemade mouse poison.

Understanding Homemade Mouse Killers

Homemade mouse killers are made from natural ingredients that are believed to be lethal to mice but safe for pets. These ingredients include baking soda, sugar, flour, cornmeal, and plaster of Paris. The idea is that the mice will eat the mixture and die from dehydration or suffocation.

Homemade mouse killers are easy to make and use, but they may not be as effective as commercial products. They also pose a risk of accidental ingestion by pets or children.

Signs Your Pet Has Ingested Homemade Mouse Poison

If your pet has ingested homemade mouse poison, they may exhibit signs such as vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, loss of appetite, seizures or tremors. These symptoms can occur within hours or days after ingestion.

It is important to note that not all homemade mouse killers are equally toxic. Some recipes may contain more harmful ingredients than others.

What To Do If Your Pet Accidentally Ingests Homemade Mouse Poison

If you suspect that your pet has ingested homemade mouse poison, it is crucial that you act fast. The first step is to call your veterinarian or a pet poison control hotline immediately for guidance.

In some cases, inducing vomiting may help remove the poison from your pet’s system before it is absorbed into their bloodstream. Your veterinarian may also recommend administering activated charcoal, which can help absorb toxins in the gut.

If your pet is exhibiting severe symptoms, they may require hospitalization and supportive care such as IV fluids or oxygen therapy.

How To Prevent Accidental Pet Poisoning

Preventing accidental pet poisoning from homemade mouse killers requires taking some precautions. First, always store the poison in a secure location that is out of reach of pets and children.

Secondly, use bait stations to keep the poison contained and prevent pets from accessing it. Bait stations are small plastic containers that hold the mouse poison and have small openings that only mice can fit through.

Lastly, consider using humane traps or calling a professional to handle your rodent problem if you are concerned about your pet’s safety.


Homemade mouse killers can be an effective alternative to commercial products, but they come with their own set of risks. If your pet accidentally ingests homemade mouse poison, acting quickly can save their life. Remember to take precautions when using any type of rodenticide in your home to keep both your pets and family safe.

This text was generated using a large language model, and select text has been reviewed and moderated for purposes such as readability.